Hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Typically, July, August, and September are the worst months. Here are just a few tips we recommend for staying safe and preparing your apartment before evacuating.
- Remove all contents from your refrigerator.
- Unplug all electronic devices. If the power is lost and restored there is often an electrical surge that can destroy your TV, computer or electrical items.
- Remove patio furniture and any items from your porch, balcony, or yard. Those could become deadly projectiles when the high winds gust.
- Place trash containers in the rear of the building against the building or in the basement.
- Close all windows securely and lock them to prevent wind damage.
- Take your important documents with you. This is the time to make sure you have a lease copy and any insurance documents at hand.
- Remove valuables from the apartment.
- If you leave the city, you must take your pets (if any).
- Please keep your rent current, even if you exit the city.
- Fill your vehicle’s gas tank before the storm.